Emergency Care Training
For Companies | Educators | Individuals | Mariners |
Your One-Stop Training Network
Professional Emergency Care specializes in emergency care management and training. Professional Emergency Care CC has been providing training to the industry for over 25 years and has grown to be a market leader in the emergency care fields.
We offer a wide range of training opportunities from CPR and First Aid courses for industry, schools and the public, Maritime Medical courses and a range of CPD compliant courses for the Healthcare Provider.
PEC is an accredited training institution with the Department of Labour and South African Maritime Safety Authority. We are in the process of applying for accreditation with the HWSETA. We are accredited to offer the Resuscitation Council of Southern Africa courses as well as internationally accredited to offer the American Heart Association and International Trauma Life Support courses.
We have refresher courses and Clinical Practice Guidelines 2018 courses approved by the HPCSA for the various levels of EMS.
Training your staff as per the requirement of the Occupational Health & Safety Act No 85 of 1993. Certificates are issued and a record is kept of all training completed. On-site training for 8+ candidates.
Schools, colleges, universities
PEC offers a wide range of Public Courses to individuals or groups. Tourist guides, moms, nannies, caretakers of children, or anyone who just wants to equip themselves with essential life saving skills.
Emergency Care is a very practical subject and can only be learnt with
PROF PORTAL AFRICA
We don’t only do classroom training!
Prof Portal Africa is our innovative online learning system – using a Blended learning approach – a combination of online learning and classroom practicals and skills assessments. This is primarily focused on Healthcare Providers at present.
Courses we offer
- Family and Friends CPR (AHA): The Family and Friends CPR Course is aimed at members of the public, family members, relatives and friends of adults and children at risk for sudden death. It is ideal for laypersons with no prior medical knowledge who want to learn life-saving rescue skills for their loved ones.
- First Aid Essentials for Children: The Family and Friends First Aid for Children Course is aimed at members of the public, family members, relatives and friends with no prior medical knowledge who would like to receive a basic orientation to first aid for their children.
- Heartsaver CPR and AED: The Heartsaver CPR AED Course is designed to teach the techniques of CPR and choking in adults, children and infants, and the use of the AED to lay rescuers, particularly those who are expected to respond to emergencies in their occupation or workplace.
- CPR for Everyone: The Resuscitation Council of Southern Africa has launched a course equivalent to the Heartsaver CPR and AED Course and is intended primarily for those who are expected to provide CPR in the workplace.
- Heartsaver First Aid, CPR and AED: The Heartsaver First Aid with CPR and AED Course is intended primarily for those who are expected to provide CPR and first aid in their workplace.
- Emergency Care Level 1: To enable staff members of companies to carry out the tasks of a First Aider within the workplace according to the requirements of the OHS Act 85 of 1993.
- Emergency Care Level 2: To build on knowledge acquired in First Aid Level 1 and to enable learners who perform a task in the outdoors as this course has modules on snake & other animal bites as well as environmental casualties such as heat stroke and exposure to extreme cold.
- Emergency Care Level 3: This course will enable the learner to take leadership in emergency situations. More focus is placed on serious injuries and illnesses.
- First Aid Update for Groups: Our experience over many years has shown clearly that retraining first aiders every 3 years is not enough to keep essential life-saving skills sharp! What we recommend to our customers is running a regular 2-hour update to recap, refresh and run simulations for the in date first aiders.
- Paediatric and Basic First Aid: You will be equipped with the right knowledge and skills to be able to respond correctly in an emergency situation. This knowledge can mean the difference between life and death. We really want to encourage you to take the time to learn CPR and Basic First Aid. You never know when you will need it! To empower you with the knowledge and practical skills needed to assess an emergency situation and to develop on a plan of action. You will learn how to keep a child/infant alive while waiting for the emergency services and will also learn how to deal with minor incidents/emergencies.
- Automated External Defibrillators (AED): Anyone working in an environment that has an AED available for use on a patient in cardiac arrest should do AED skills practice frequently.
- Elementary First Aid: This classification is used to train Deckhands, Oilers, Greasers and certain Fishermen. The Practical First Aid at Sea Course has been designed to ensure that seamen can meet basic requirements for rendering assistance to his fellow crew members in the event of an accident at sea. The emphasis being on the basic CPR skills, and the practical aspects of First Aid training.
- Medical First Aid including Elementary First Aid: This classification is used to train all Ships Officers, (Engineering and Navigational Personnel) of all ships. The instant that any commercial or recreational personnel have to study for the examination. The Medical Care Course includes the Elementary First Aid Course.
- Medical Care: This classification should be used for all Navigational Ship’s Officers from Second Mate and higher, as well as all Grade One Fishing Officers.
- Medical Care Refresher: The Medical Care Refresher course has been designed to ensure the appointed medical Officer meets the First Aid requirements for rendering medical assistance to any crew member in the event of a traumatic accident or medical emergency on board.
- Maritime Security Courses: King Cole Maritime presents these SAMSA accredited Maritime Security courses at PEC.
- Management of a Patient on Enteral Feeding: Upon completion of this module you will be able to demonstrate the theoretical and practical skills involved in the care of a patient on Enteral Feeds.
- Vital Signs: It is of vital importance that medical professionals are able to take accurate manual observations of a patient’s vital signs. Vital sign monitors are used by many organisations to measure vital sign observations. In addition to being extremely costly monitors, they are often not calibrated regularly and have other limitations such as battery life or need for direct current electricity. External disturbances can also lead to false readings. In this course, the observational signs of Blood Pressure, Pulse Rate, Respiratory Rate, Capillary Refill time and Haemoglucose testing will be explained and demonstrated.
- Basic Computer Skills: This course will discuss the following topics: Windows interface, keyboard and mouse skills, basic knowledge of Microsoft Word and Internet Explorer. The focus is on Windows 7.
- Immobilisation: Spinal immobilisation is a common intervention in the pre-hospital patient following trauma. This was what we were taught as Pre-Hospital Practitioners and have done for the last 20 years. However, the research over the last 10 years compels us to take another look at what we have been doing and think before we routinely attempt to immobilise every possible trauma patient. The evidence shows that it is impossible to have complete “Spinal Immobilisation” and what we should be doing when necessary is “Spinal Motion Restriction”. If we decide it is appropriate to apply SMR what equipment would be best suited for the purpose to minimise potentially harmful consequences for our patient.
- Urine Testing and Analysis: This course will enable you to perform a physical and chemical urine test and interpret the findings. Note: How to collect a mid-stream urine sample for MC&S is not covered in this course.
- Intravenous Therapy: The module Intravenous Therapy will discuss the following topics: purposes of IV Therapy, advantages and disadvantages, observation and documentation, anatomy and physiology, administration of intravenous fluids and medication, complications, infection prevention and control and healthcare worker safety.
- BAA CPG Update 2018: This program will update you on the latest CPG drugs and skills added to a BAA protocol. This is compulsory for every BAA before they can add the new protocols to their practice. Using a blended learning approach
ofonline learning and 3 days of classroom practical skills simulations.
- AEA CPG Update: This is compulsory for every registered AEA before they can add the new CPG guidelines to their protocols. Using a blended learning approach
ofonline learning and 3 days of classroom practical skills simulations.
- BAA Refresher: The HPCSA released new CPG Guidelines for all level of EMS registered practitioners. These are a considerable increase in scope for most levels. The volume of the new content needing to be covered cannot be done in 3 days! We are using a blended learning program which will allow you to complete at your own pace and time.
- AEA Refresher: The HPCSA released new CPG Guidelines for all level of EMS registered practitioners. These are a considerable increase in scope for most levels. The volume of the new content needing to be covered cannot be done in 3 days! We are using a blended learning program which will allow you to complete at your own pace and time.
- ALS Refresher: The HPCSA released new CPG Guidelines for all level of EMS registered practitioners. These are a considerable increase in scope for most levels. The volume of the new content needing to be covered cannot be done in 3 days! We are using a blended learning program which will allow you to complete at your own pace and time.
- Basic Life Support (BLS): This course is open to all healthcare workers who have a voluntary or professional duty to respond to a cardiac or respiratory emergency. This counts toward your Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
- CPR for Professionals: CPR for Professionals is a locally produced course designed to teach the skills of CPR and choking for victims of all ages, including ventilation with barrier devices, pocket masks, bag-valve-mask devices with supplemental oxygen, and the use of Automated External Defibrillators to all healthcare providers in both hospital and out-of-hospital settings.
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS): ACLS is a practical, simulated case-based Course that will enhance resuscitation skills in the management of cardiac arrest and peri-arrest patients. Learning is facilitated by extensive hands-on practice, with each participant getting several opportunities to lead their team in simulated clinical scenarios.
- ACLS for Experienced Providers (EP): The ACLS for Experienced Providers Course is an
intensepractical and case-based course that covers both common and special resuscitation situations and challenging emergency situations. Learning is facilitated by discussion and hands-on practice, guided by positive and constructive feedback.
- Paediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS): The PALS is a practical, case-based Course that will enhance one’s skills in the evaluation and management of an infant or child with respiratory compromise, circulatory compromise or cardiac arrest. Ideal performance is initially demonstrated via video and Instructor.
- International Trauma Life Support (ITLS): International Trauma Life Support Courses give you the knowledge and hands-on skills to take better care of trauma patients. The ITLS framework is a global standard that enables you to master the latest techniques in rapid assessment, appropriate intervention, and identification of immediate life-threatening injuries.
- RCSA and AHA BLS Instructor Course: We offer both the AHA and RCSA Instructor options. The Basic Life Support (BLS) Instructor course is a 2-day program, designed to prepare BLS Instructors to disseminate the science, skills, and philosophy of resuscitation programs to participants enrolled in BLS & Heartsaver courses.